politicsconservative

China Cuts Food Tariffs for U. S. , Still No Clear Plan

Beijing, ChinaWednesday, May 20, 2026
China has announced that it will lower duties on American food items as part of a larger trade agreement, but the details are still fuzzy. The decision came after President Donald Trump and Chinese leader Xi Jinping met in Beijing last week, during which the U. S. said China would buy $17 billion of its crops each year in addition to a previous soybean deal. The goal is to lift U. S. agricultural imports back up to the highest levels seen before the trade war, but that will likely need China to remove many of the tariffs it imposed. The Ministry of Commerce said both sides “in principle” agreed to include certain food products in a reciprocal tariff‑cut plan and set goals for expanding two‑way trade.
What products will see lower rates, or how the $17 billion commitment will be enforced, was not explained. Chinese statements tend to be more cautious than U. S. ones; for example, Beijing bought 12 million tons of soybeans last year but never publicly confirmed the deal. A trade board will be formed to pick and monitor about $30 billion of goods that could see tariffs dropped to historic lows. Experts expect the focus to be on U. S. foods, because the combined soybean and crop purchases total roughly $30 billion. China also said it would renew U. S. beef registrations and allow poultry from some states to re‑export after avian flu outbreaks. It mentioned it would discuss agricultural biotech concerns that matter to Washington, though no specifics were given. The announcement leaves many questions unanswered. Without clear lists of products or timelines, farmers and traders on both sides will have to wait for more information before planning their next steps.

Actions